August usually means a lot to America. It's big for vacationers. The sun comes out and everyone gets one last hurrah before the summer recedes for the year. So why would studios dump their worst movies at this time? Maybe it's just a coincidence, but either way, it's hard to say whether or not this August will break the trend. Swing Vote seems to confirm Vulture's dire prediction, but Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder will surely find some appreciative audiences. And we all know The Dark Knight will continue to make bank. However, before you start thinking that a turnaround is on the way, consider the third Mummy movie -- and, once again, Vulture might have something here: Variety has called it "cheeseball stuff." Could that be the codeword for "typical August movie"? It would seem so.
- Rock Out With These Epic Singing Scenes From Movies - POPSUGAR
- Charles Dance aka Tywin Lannister Drops 'Game of Thrones' Rumors - HitFix
- See The Latest 'Interstellar' Posters - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Godzilla' (2014) - ScreenJunkies
- 25 Comic-Book Movies That (Thankfully) Never Happened - Vulture
- Don't Look at These Horror Movie GIFs With the Light Off - POPSUGAR
- Keanu Reeves Had a Home Invader Chilling in His Library - Vulture
- The 5 Best New Comedies This Fall - POPSUGAR
- The 17 Worst Ways to Be Killed by Liam Neeson - Vulture
- 'Frozen' Returning With New Animated Short - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!