August usually means a lot to America. It's big for vacationers. The sun comes out and everyone gets one last hurrah before the summer recedes for the year. So why would studios dump their worst movies at this time? Maybe it's just a coincidence, but either way, it's hard to say whether or not this August will break the trend. Swing Vote seems to confirm Vulture's dire prediction, but Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder will surely find some appreciative audiences. And we all know The Dark Knight will continue to make bank. However, before you start thinking that a turnaround is on the way, consider the third Mummy movie -- and, once again, Vulture might have something here: Variety has called it "cheeseball stuff." Could that be the codeword for "typical August movie"? It would seem so.
- 29 Times Jennifer Lawrence Was a Badass on the Big Screen - POPSUGAR
- Watch Kristen Stewart in New Trailer (video) - HitFix
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Villains Revealed? - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' (video) - ScreenJunkies
- Everything We Know About 'The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron' - Vulture
- Why 1999 Was the Best VMAs of All Time - POPSUGAR
- David Letterman Remembers Robin Williams - Vulture
- Who's Been in Jimmy Fallon's 'Ew!' Skit? (video) - POPSUGAR
- What Show Deserves the Best Drama Emmy? - Vulture
- 'Friday Night Lights' Star Joins 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!