Though I admit to a knee-jerk suspicion about English-language remakes of foreign-language pictures, in this case I wasn't a big fan of the Korean original, which was a box office smash in its native land in the summer of 2001. It was also a big hit in Hong Kong the following year, and US festival audiences lapped it up (e.g. it won the Audience Award at the first New York Asian Film Festival). Personally, I thought the humor was too over the top and the basic premise too difficult to swallow. (Here's a review I wrote in 2002.) That might make me receptive to a remake, but it doesn't look like director Yann Samuell or scripter Victor Levin licked the problems I saw in the original.
- 12 Actors You Forgot Were Child Stars - POPSUGAR
- Here's a Look at DC's 'Superman v. Batman' versus Marvel - HitFix
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Villains Revealed? - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Ghostbusters' (video) - ScreenJunkies
- Everything We Know About 'The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron' - Vulture
- Why 1999 Was the Best VMAs of All Time - POPSUGAR
- The Highs & Lows of the 2014 Emmys - Vulture
- 19 Amazing Kristen Wiig Moments From 'Bridesmaids' - POPSUGAR
- Woody Harrelson & Matthew McConaughey Charm at the Emmys - Vulture
- Superman & Lois Lane Take the Ice Bucket Challenge - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!