- When trying to bring together many years of life, one will often focus on a certain aspect that links it all. For the 80-year-old French filmmaker Agnès Varda, that is beaches. Variety reports that she has a new documentary feature on the way called Les plages d'Agnes. She says of the film: "If you open people, you'll find landscapes. In my case, you'll find beaches." How sandy! Roissy Films has picked up the doc's overseas rights, and the film will screen at Berlinale this year.
- Meanwhile, Variety has posted that Toshiaki Karasawa is going to head up Toho's science fiction trilogy 20th Century Boy. With a solid $57 million budget (which sounds much more impressive as 6 billion yen), the film will shoot in a number of countries, from the US to China, with the first flick to be released on August 30. Based on the comic by Naoki Urasawa, Boy focuses on the creepy premise of "a store manager (Karasawa) who wrote a prediction about the end of the world when he was a teenager, which seems to be coming true." The project also features Etsushi Toyokawa and Takiko Tokiwa.
- To wrap things up, there's some more Ballast news for you. It already got a solid review from our James Rocchi at Sundance, and an international deal with Celluloid Dreams. Now, according to The Hollywood Reporter, the stateside rights have been picked up by IFC. With a deal in the six-figure range, the company will give the film a day-and-date release through First Take, IFC network, and VOD. It may be a dark and heavy piece of cinema, but it still looks worth the time. However, there's no word, yet, on a release date.
- 12 Actors You Forgot Were Child Stars - POPSUGAR
- Here's a Look at DC's 'Superman v. Batman' versus Marvel - HitFix
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Villains Revealed? - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Ghostbusters' (video) - ScreenJunkies
- Everything We Know About 'The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron' - Vulture
- Why 1999 Was the Best VMAs of All Time - POPSUGAR
- The Highs & Lows of the 2014 Emmys - Vulture
- 19 Amazing Kristen Wiig Moments From 'Bridesmaids' - POPSUGAR
- Woody Harrelson & Matthew McConaughey Charm at the Emmys - Vulture
- Superman & Lois Lane Take the Ice Bucket Challenge - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!