- When trying to bring together many years of life, one will often focus on a certain aspect that links it all. For the 80-year-old French filmmaker Agnès Varda, that is beaches. Variety reports that she has a new documentary feature on the way called Les plages d'Agnes. She says of the film: "If you open people, you'll find landscapes. In my case, you'll find beaches." How sandy! Roissy Films has picked up the doc's overseas rights, and the film will screen at Berlinale this year.
- Meanwhile, Variety has posted that Toshiaki Karasawa is going to head up Toho's science fiction trilogy 20th Century Boy. With a solid $57 million budget (which sounds much more impressive as 6 billion yen), the film will shoot in a number of countries, from the US to China, with the first flick to be released on August 30. Based on the comic by Naoki Urasawa, Boy focuses on the creepy premise of "a store manager (Karasawa) who wrote a prediction about the end of the world when he was a teenager, which seems to be coming true." The project also features Etsushi Toyokawa and Takiko Tokiwa.
- To wrap things up, there's some more Ballast news for you. It already got a solid review from our James Rocchi at Sundance, and an international deal with Celluloid Dreams. Now, according to The Hollywood Reporter, the stateside rights have been picked up by IFC. With a deal in the six-figure range, the company will give the film a day-and-date release through First Take, IFC network, and VOD. It may be a dark and heavy piece of cinema, but it still looks worth the time. However, there's no word, yet, on a release date.
- Rock Out With These Epic Singing Scenes From Movies - POPSUGAR
- Charles Dance aka Tywin Lannister Drops 'Game of Thrones' Rumors - HitFix
- See The Latest 'Interstellar' Posters - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Godzilla' (2014) - ScreenJunkies
- 25 Comic-Book Movies That (Thankfully) Never Happened - Vulture
- Don't Look at These Horror Movie GIFs With the Light Off - POPSUGAR
- Keanu Reeves Had a Home Invader Chilling in His Library - Vulture
- The 5 Best New Comedies This Fall - POPSUGAR
- The 17 Worst Ways to Be Killed by Liam Neeson - Vulture
- 'Frozen' Returning With New Animated Short - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!