Cinematical was just handed this exclusive look at the poster for The Great Debaters (click on the image for a larger version), starring, produced by and directed by Denzel Washington. The film, which also co-stars Forest Whitaker and a kid whose name is (no joke) Denzel Whitaker, is based on the true story of Melvin B. Tolson (Washington), a professor at Wiley College Texas who in 1935 inspired students to start up the school's first debate team. They would later go on to challenge Harvard in the national championship. The film marks only the second time Washington has stepped behind the camera; his directorial debut came in 2002 with Antwone Fisher. I actually met someone last night who wasn't a Denzel Washington fan. I looked at them sideways before replying: "Um, isn't it illegal in all 50 states to not like Denzel?" And I meant it too; I dig Denzel -- always have, always will -- and based on the film's trailer (which you can view below), The Great Debaters definitely looks like the feel-good film of the holiday season. You can check it out for yourself when the film arrives in theaters on Christmas Day.
- 29 Times Jennifer Lawrence Was a Badass on the Big Screen - POPSUGAR
- Watch Kristen Stewart in New Trailer (video) - HitFix
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Villains Revealed? - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' (video) - ScreenJunkies
- Everything We Know About 'The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron' - Vulture
- Why 1999 Was the Best VMAs of All Time - POPSUGAR
- David Letterman Remembers Robin Williams - Vulture
- Who's Been in Jimmy Fallon's 'Ew!' Skit? (video) - POPSUGAR
- What Show Deserves the Best Drama Emmy? - Vulture
- 'Friday Night Lights' Star Joins 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!