Alas, poor Yorick! Because when it comes to Hollywood, nothing is sacred. Variety reports that Eric Eisner (son of Hollywood heavyweight Michael Eisner) has struck a deal to produce Hamlet 2 under his shingle, L+E Productions. The film stars Steve Coogan (aka Alan Partridge) and Catherine Keener. The teen comedy (yes, it's a teen comedy) will focus on a struggling drama teacher who decides to write the ultimate in sequels, Hamlet 2, to save his drama department. Andy Fleming co-wrote the film with Team America: World Police scribe Pam Brady, and is also set to direct. Fleming also directed the Nancy Drew update with Emma Roberts earlier this year, and was responsible for 1996's The Craft, so he has plenty of experience when it comes to teen flicks.
This wouldn't be the first time that Shakespeare has been appropriated for "mall rats" -- and some attempts have been more successful than others. If you've seen Coogan in Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story, you know how funny he can make literary adaptations, so you never know, the film might actually have a chance. Coogan has been receiving some bad press from some unlikely places lately, which could damage his chances of breaking out in the U.S. He might be a household name in England, but most North Americans probably couldn't pick him out of a lineup. Next up for Coogan is the comedy biopic of England's first ski jumper, Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards, and then it's on to the Challenger disaster drama Safety Glass for Pop-up Video writer Jonathan Glatzer. Hamlet 2 is set to begin shooting on Sept. 17 in New Mexico.
- The Best Movie Couples of 2014 - POPSUGAR
- Is This the Greatest Best Actor Class Ever? - HitFix
- Christian Bale Is Our Least Relatable Movie Star - Vulture
- Honest Trailer: 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug' - ScreenJunkies
- 10 Moments in 'The Interview' That Would've Upset North Korea - Vulture
- 10 Holiday Movies to Stream on Netflix - POPSUGAR
- 12 Actors You Forgot Were Child Stars - POPSUGAR
- Ben Stiller's 10 Best Movies - Rotten Tomatoes
- Here Are the 'Star Wars: Episode VII' Character Names - POPSUGAR
- The Worst Movies of 2014 - ScreenCrush