With the director in place, they're now hoping to get production going early next year, with Franka Potente still tapped to star. (How funny would it be if she could no longer do it? Also disappointing, since I'd love to see her really command a period piece.) The film is an adaptation of Donna Woolfolk Cross' bestseller Pope Joan, which tells the legend of a ninth-century woman who disguised herself as a man and ascended the papal throne -- but was later found out when she had a baby during a procession from St. Peter's. Oops. I have to say -- having the sex when you're not only the Pope, but a female one at that, is pretty risky. Assuming the production hits no more snags, we should be able to see it for ourselves in a year or two.
- 7 Wonderfully Weird Bill Murray Shenanigans - POPSUGAR
- Jon Stewart Shames NFL Over Ray Rice - HitFix
- 'Big Hero 6' Preview - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Godzilla' (2014) - ScreenJunkies
- 25 Comic-Book Movies That (Thankfully) Never Happened - Vulture
- These 11 Freaky 'American Horry Story' Gifs Will Give You Nightmares - POPSUGAR
- 16 Shameless Product Placements in TV & Movies - Vulture
- The 5 Best New Comedies This Fall - POPSUGAR
- See Anna Kendrick Singing in 'The Last 5 Years' - Vulture
- 'Frozen' Returning With New Animated Short - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!