TWC is naturally spinning this news as being good for the film, claiming that Senator will give the movie a wider release than originally planned. While I'm inclined to be cynical, a look at the new distributor and release date may prove them correct. Senator International is credited as the production company behind Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, The Grudge, Boogeyman and the upcoming Fireflies in the Garden. (Interestingly, Ghost House Pictures -- the horror-film production company started by Sam Raimi -- is considered a division of Senator International.) Senator already owned the German theatrical distribution rights for Mandy Lane -- like TWC, the company bought the rights in Toronto after the film premiered at TIFF. In short, the company does appear to be focused on marketing and distributing low-budget horror films effectively, so maybe this will work better for Mandy Lane than a perfunctory release from Dimension/TWC. In addition, the film might face less competition in the first few months of the year (when mainstream movie fare is often second-rate) than it would during the summer, and audiences might be more inclined to appreciate a horror film with touches of dark comedy.
- Rock Out With These Epic Singing Scenes From Movies - POPSUGAR
- Charles Dance aka Tywin Lannister Drops 'Game of Thrones' Rumors - HitFix
- See The Latest 'Interstellar' Posters - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Godzilla' (2014) - ScreenJunkies
- 25 Comic-Book Movies That (Thankfully) Never Happened - Vulture
- Don't Look at These Horror Movie GIFs With the Light Off - POPSUGAR
- Keanu Reeves Had a Home Invader Chilling in His Library - Vulture
- The 5 Best New Comedies This Fall - POPSUGAR
- The 17 Worst Ways to Be Killed by Liam Neeson - Vulture
- 'Frozen' Returning With New Animated Short - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!