TWC is naturally spinning this news as being good for the film, claiming that Senator will give the movie a wider release than originally planned. While I'm inclined to be cynical, a look at the new distributor and release date may prove them correct. Senator International is credited as the production company behind Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, The Grudge, Boogeyman and the upcoming Fireflies in the Garden. (Interestingly, Ghost House Pictures -- the horror-film production company started by Sam Raimi -- is considered a division of Senator International.) Senator already owned the German theatrical distribution rights for Mandy Lane -- like TWC, the company bought the rights in Toronto after the film premiered at TIFF. In short, the company does appear to be focused on marketing and distributing low-budget horror films effectively, so maybe this will work better for Mandy Lane than a perfunctory release from Dimension/TWC. In addition, the film might face less competition in the first few months of the year (when mainstream movie fare is often second-rate) than it would during the summer, and audiences might be more inclined to appreciate a horror film with touches of dark comedy.
- 12 Actors You Forgot Were Child Stars - POPSUGAR
- Here's a Look at DC's 'Superman v. Batman' versus Marvel - HitFix
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Villains Revealed? - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Ghostbusters' (video) - ScreenJunkies
- Everything We Know About 'The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron' - Vulture
- Why 1999 Was the Best VMAs of All Time - POPSUGAR
- The Highs & Lows of the 2014 Emmys - Vulture
- 19 Amazing Kristen Wiig Moments From 'Bridesmaids' - POPSUGAR
- Woody Harrelson & Matthew McConaughey Charm at the Emmys - Vulture
- Superman & Lois Lane Take the Ice Bucket Challenge - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!