The word over at Variety is that director Kenny Ortega is in talks to helm and choreograph the remake, grabbing his High School Musical star Zac Efron to take over Kevin Bacon's role as the wild, dancing rebel, Ren McCormack. Oh, how I hope that this one slips into development hell, and those responsible for the project choke on the fumes. You've gotta cut loose this idea, Paramount. You just know this remake will lose all of the original's spark -- the dust and charisma will be wiped clean to reveal pretty, perfect, ever-smiling faces. In the original, Bacon made dancing look cool in the town where it was banned -- partially because he wasn't some Disney-fied young actor obsessed with musical movies. He was Chip Diller from Animal House, not pretty boy Troy from High School Musical. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to bang my head against the wall.
- 'Big Hero 6' Directors Reveal Story Behind Wild New Trailer - Moviefone
- GM Almost Screwed Up 'Toy Story,' 'Cars,' & More - AutoBlog
- Colin Farrell, Taylor Kitsch Rumored for 'True Detective' - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Green Lantern' (Video) - ScreenJunkies
- 25 Best Romantic Comedies Since 'When Harry Met Sally' - Vulture
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' Behind-the-Scenes Fun - POPSUGAR
- 10 Ways 'A Hard Day's Night' Changed the World - Vulture
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Was Almost a Racy TV Series - POPSUGAR
- 'The Walking Dead' at Comic-Con - HitFix
- 35 Times Ron Burgundy Made You Crack Up - POPSUGAR
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!