The word over at Variety is that director Kenny Ortega is in talks to helm and choreograph the remake, grabbing his High School Musical star Zac Efron to take over Kevin Bacon's role as the wild, dancing rebel, Ren McCormack. Oh, how I hope that this one slips into development hell, and those responsible for the project choke on the fumes. You've gotta cut loose this idea, Paramount. You just know this remake will lose all of the original's spark -- the dust and charisma will be wiped clean to reveal pretty, perfect, ever-smiling faces. In the original, Bacon made dancing look cool in the town where it was banned -- partially because he wasn't some Disney-fied young actor obsessed with musical movies. He was Chip Diller from Animal House, not pretty boy Troy from High School Musical. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to bang my head against the wall.
- 7 Wonderfully Weird Bill Murray Shenanigans - POPSUGAR
- Jon Stewart Shames NFL Over Ray Rice - HitFix
- 'Big Hero 6' Preview - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Godzilla' (2014) - ScreenJunkies
- 25 Comic-Book Movies That (Thankfully) Never Happened - Vulture
- These 11 Freaky 'American Horry Story' Gifs Will Give You Nightmares - POPSUGAR
- 16 Shameless Product Placements in TV & Movies - Vulture
- The 5 Best New Comedies This Fall - POPSUGAR
- See Anna Kendrick Singing in 'The Last 5 Years' - Vulture
- 'Frozen' Returning With New Animated Short - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!