Unfortunately, von Stauffenberg's plan -- an exploding briefcase planted near Hitler during a meeting -- failed to kill the Nazi leader but did end up taking the lives of four of his subordinates. An entire second part of von Stauffenberg's plan, to mount a quick coup of the Nazi leadership and overthrow the regime in one fell swoop, was immediately aborted when Hitler survived the plot, and the conspirators were hunted down within hours. For his efforts, von Stauffenberg was executed by firing squad. The film is being financed by Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner through their new United Artists company and its rumored that Cruise is circling the role of von Stauffenberg -- a move that is not sitting well with members of von Stauffenberg's family, as they worry Cruise will use the film to push some hidden Scientology agenda.
- 29 Times Jennifer Lawrence Was a Badass on the Big Screen - POPSUGAR
- Watch Kristen Stewart in New Trailer (video) - HitFix
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Villains Revealed? - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' (video) - ScreenJunkies
- Everything We Know About 'The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron' - Vulture
- Why 1999 Was the Best VMAs of All Time - POPSUGAR
- David Letterman Remembers Robin Williams - Vulture
- Who's Been in Jimmy Fallon's 'Ew!' Skit? (video) - POPSUGAR
- What Show Deserves the Best Drama Emmy? - Vulture
- 'Friday Night Lights' Star Joins 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!