Unfortunately, von Stauffenberg's plan -- an exploding briefcase planted near Hitler during a meeting -- failed to kill the Nazi leader but did end up taking the lives of four of his subordinates. An entire second part of von Stauffenberg's plan, to mount a quick coup of the Nazi leadership and overthrow the regime in one fell swoop, was immediately aborted when Hitler survived the plot, and the conspirators were hunted down within hours. For his efforts, von Stauffenberg was executed by firing squad. The film is being financed by Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner through their new United Artists company and its rumored that Cruise is circling the role of von Stauffenberg -- a move that is not sitting well with members of von Stauffenberg's family, as they worry Cruise will use the film to push some hidden Scientology agenda.
- 'Big Hero 6' Directors Reveal Story Behind Wild New Trailer - Moviefone
- GM Almost Screwed Up 'Toy Story,' 'Cars,' & More - AutoBlog
- Colin Farrell, Taylor Kitsch Rumored for 'True Detective' - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Divergent' (Video) - ScreenJunkies
- 25 Best Romantic Comedies Since 'When Harry Met Sally' - Vulture
- 11 Loose Ends on 'True Blood' - POPSUGAR
- 10 Ways 'A Hard Day's Night' Changed the World - Vulture
- 20 Summer Romance Movies to Stream Now - POPSUGAR
- New 'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Photos - ScreenCrush
- What We Already Know About 'Star Wars: Episode VII' - POPSUGAR
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!