Last week Elite Entertainment, the company that released the definitive DVD editions of both Re-Animator (1985) and Night of the Living Dead (1968), has announced a new DVD set sure to have horror fans salivating through their pointy teeth. It's a three-disc set called The Fearmakers Collection, which contains half-hour documentaries on ten horror filmmakers: Jack Arnold (The Creature from the Black Lagoon), Tod Browning (Dracula and Freaks), William Castle (House on Haunted Hill), Roger Corman (The Masque of the Red Death), Terence Fisher (Horror of Dracula), Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre), Roman Polanski (Rosemary's Baby), Jacques Tourneur (Cat People), silent-era director Roland West (The Bat) and Robert Wise (The Haunting). Each episode contains interviews with filmmakers, actors and other experts. The set is based on the book The Fearmakers, by John McCarty, and will be released May 8 with a $29.98 price tag. Elite has even posted a Youtube page full of preview clips.
But wait! Did I mention Re-Animator? Anchor Bay Entertainment has simultaneously announced a new series of remastered Special Edition DVDs (most of its signature titles are now out of print), starting with Stuart Gordon's 1985 film as well as Don Coscarelli's Phantasm (1978). The new Re-Animator disc promises a brand-new transfer, remastered Dolby Digital sound, a new 70-minute documentary and scads of other goodies. True blue (green?) fans will want to hang on to their Elite edition, however, because the one thing it doesn't have is the longer, 95-minute version of the film. Anchor Bay's DVD will contain only Gordon's official director's cut, which runs 86 minutes, while Elite's disc has both versions. Still, this new one will definitely be worth a look. It streets March 20 and retails for $24.98. And act fast: Anchor Bay is printing only 50,000 copies.
- The Cast of 'Hocus Pocus': Then & Now - POPSUGAR
- 16 Things We Learned From Dave Chappelle's GQ Interview - HitFix
- 10 Failed TV Shows From Successful Showrunners - Rotten Tomatoes
- Honest Trailer: 'Maleficent' - ScreenJunkies
- Make Your Own Aaron Sorkin Monologue - Vulture
- Why Thanksgiving Is Just Like 'The Hunger Games' - POPSUGAR
- The 13 Best 'Assembling the Team' Movies - Vulture
- White Elephant Gifts For the Pop Culture Fan - POPSUGAR
- Ranking 11 Movie Bosses From Amazing to Horrible - POPSUGAR
- Watch the Star-Lord Dance-Off in This 'Guardians' Outtake - ScreenCrush