- It's just been confirmed that Fox Searchlight has partnered with The Weinstein Company to acquire worldwide distribution rights to La Misma Luna (The Same Moon) for an estimated $5-6 million. This is a significantly large deal for this year's festival, in which deals had previously topped out at around $4 million. The movie is about a boy in Mexico who attempts to travel to the U.S. to find his mother. Rumors had been circulating that this film was generating a lot of interest in buyers at Sundance, who packed the film's Sundance screening on Monday. La Misma Luna is the feature directorial debut for Patricia Riggen.
- According to Variety, a fierce bidding war has taken place over distribution rights for the feature Son of Rambow (pictured at right), which premiered last night at Sundance. It's estimated that competitive bids from Fox Searchlight, Paramount Vantage and Miramax were climbing as high as $8 or $9 million, which would make the deal the biggest yet for this year's festival. Although unconfirmed, it currently appears that Paramount Vantage has won the deal for the British film about a young boy transformed by exposure to the Rambo movies. The movie is directed by Garth Jennings, who also directed The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- Magnolia Pictures has bought the North American and UK distribution rights to The Signal, a horror film about a supernatural radio/TV transmission that brings out the killer instinct in those who receive it. The film is told in three episodes from differing perspectives. Magnolia is estimated to have paid $2 million in the deal. The film is co-written and co-directed by David Bruckner, Dan Bush and Jacob Gentry.
- Rock Out With These Epic Singing Scenes From Movies - POPSUGAR
- Charles Dance aka Tywin Lannister Drops 'Game of Thrones' Rumors - HitFix
- See The Latest 'Interstellar' Posters - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Godzilla' (2014) - ScreenJunkies
- 25 Comic-Book Movies That (Thankfully) Never Happened - Vulture
- Don't Look at These Horror Movie GIFs With the Light Off - POPSUGAR
- Keanu Reeves Had a Home Invader Chilling in His Library - Vulture
- The 5 Best New Comedies This Fall - POPSUGAR
- The 17 Worst Ways to Be Killed by Liam Neeson - Vulture
- 'Frozen' Returning With New Animated Short - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!