CATEGORIES RumorMonger, Newsstand, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Cinematical's SmartGossip!, Movie News, CinematicalHaven't you always wondered if celebrities have more fun at Christmas or other holidays? Does George Clooney have to exclaim with delight when a great-aunt gives him a package of gray socks? Can you imagine Johnny Depp's kids giving him a garish necktie that requires all his powers of acting to look delighted about? Does Britney Spears' mom demand that she go back into the bedroom and not come out again until she's dressed like a proper young lady?
I have to admit that normally I don't wonder about any of these things, because usually at Christmastime I have a number of other things occupying my mind, whether it's worrying about what to give my own grandmother, or looking forward to seeing all the nieces and nephews. Still, I realize there's a certain amount of amusement you can derive from imagining celebrity holiday celebrations. This year, celebrity holiday news includes pregnancy news, divorce, injury, a fire and a little charity. Sounds like a normal holiday to me.
- A number of movie personalities had their holiday getaway ruined by fire. Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal, Frances McDormand and Joel Coen were all staying at a Marin County inn that caught fire shortly after Christmas.
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner spent Christmas Eve in a W. Virginia church, having their one-year-old daughter Violet baptized. That's wonderfully normal. I really am starting to warm up to Affleck again.
- Actor-turned-California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger had a much more difficult holiday. He broke his leg while skiing with his family, just before Christmas.
- And what are Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt up to during the holidays? I know you've been dying to find out which country they've been exploring. This week they vacationed in Costa Rica at a luxury resort, although they did spend Christmas day helping Colombian refugees. They also took a side trip to visit the Panama Canal.
- A little gift for Julia Roberts and her husband: Roberts has announced that she's expecting again. The baby is due in summer of 2007. This will be her third child -- she already has two-year-old twins, Hazel and Phinneas.
- Happy single New Year: Sandra Oh and director Alexander Payne are now officially divorced after nearly three years of marriage, including a year and a half of separation.
- One scary photo: This Lindsay Lohan outfit was described by TMZ as "a lacy black negligee," but honestly, it looks like she picked up a thrift-store skirt and decided to use it as a dress.