CATEGORIES Action, Animation, Comedy, Box Office, Family Films, Remakes and Sequels, UK Box Office, Cinematical, UK Box OfficeReportedly surpassing many studio expectations, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby easily took the box office crown this weekend, earning approximately $47 million at a rate of over $12,000/screen. The film outdistanced its closest competition (insert racing cliche here) by more than $30 million; the miserably reviewed animated feature, Barnyard: The Original Party Animals, finished a distant second with a surprisingly healthy $16 million. The weekend's other big debut, The Descent, ended up in fifth place with $8.8 million from just over 2000 screens.
Despite reducing its exposure by nearly 400 screens, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest continued to rake in the cash; its $11 million this weekend pushed the movie's domestic take to nearly $380 million in five weeks. Miami Vice, meanwhile, took a dive of 63% from its triumphant opening earnings, finishing the weekend in fourth place with $9.7 million; the movie has now made back $45.7 million (domestic) against its $135 million production budget.
1. Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, $47 million
2. Barnyard: The Original Party Animals, $16 million
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, $11 million
4. Miami Vice, $9.7 million
5. The Descent, $8.8 million
6. John Tucker Must Die, $6.05 million
7. Monster House, $6 million
8. The Ant Bully, $3.9 million
9. The Night Listener, $3.6 million
10. You, Me and Dupree, $3.6 million