In addition to Miami Vice, John Tucker Must Die also had a successful open this weekend, earning a very solid $14.1 million in its debut. The Ant Bully, on the other hand, was a disappointment for Warner Bros., taking in only $8.1 million from 500 fewer screens than John Tucker. Based on the charts, it looks like all the kids were seeing Monster House instead; the film hung strong with $11.5 million, good enough for a solid fourth place in its second weekend.
And, though it didn't make enough overall to get into the top 20 this weekend, Little Miss Sunshine did great business in just a few theaters, taking in a staggering $50,980/screening.
Full numbers are after the jump.
1. Miami Vice, $25.2 million
2. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, $20.5 million
3. John Tucker Must Die, $14.1 million
4. Monster House, $11.5 million
5. The Ant Bully, $8.1 million
T6. Lady in the Water, $7 million
T6. You, Me and Dupree, $7 million
8. Little Man, $5.1 million
9. The Devil Wears Prada, $4.8 million
10. Clerks II, $3.9 million