The major hold up currently seems to be the number of theaters capable of handling the 3D action. Lucas and company are hoping for two or three thousand (they consider this the point when it would become truly economically advantageous to release the films), while slightly over 1500 currently exist. With this round, George Lucas may well finally claim the number one box office total (in cash dollars, not ticket sales) spot from the Titanic. His re-release of the classic trilogy prior to Episode 1 certainly put him within striking distance, and a new round of showings with added 3D glory might give him the final jump he needs.
- 'Big Hero 6' Directors Reveal Story Behind Wild New Trailer - Moviefone
- GM Almost Screwed Up 'Toy Story,' 'Cars,' & More - AutoBlog
- Colin Farrell, Taylor Kitsch Rumored for 'True Detective' - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Divergent' (Video) - ScreenJunkies
- 25 Best Romantic Comedies Since 'When Harry Met Sally' - Vulture
- 11 Loose Ends on 'True Blood' - POPSUGAR
- 10 Ways 'A Hard Day's Night' Changed the World - Vulture
- 20 Summer Romance Movies to Stream Now - POPSUGAR
- New 'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Photos - ScreenCrush
- What We Already Know About 'Star Wars: Episode VII' - POPSUGAR
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!