- Brokeback Mountain expanded to 69 screens (heh, heh) and moved into 8th place this weekend, earning as much as $70,000 per screen in gay-friendly (not to mention, cowboy-friendly) cities such as Los Angeles, but still acquitting itself more than adequately in conservative markets such as Phoenix ($50.000/screen). Looking at these numbers, Focus is willing to gamble that they can sell this thing far beyond the gay/girl market; they'll expand to 100 screens ahead of schedule next week.
- Deborah Young watches Albert Brooks' latest, Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World. "With a plethora of good lines and absurd situations, Brooks can afford to play smart and straight as a self-deprecating detective in search of comedy", she writes. "A more serious puzzle is what the film, which was shot in India, has to do with the Muslim world."
- It looks like Warner Brothers is about to lose its status as Wal-Mart's DVD "category captain". What the hell does that mean, you say? It's a practice, apparently employed by many large retailers, in order to obtain "exhaustive number crunching" that can then help them determine marketing, pricing, placement, etc, and the captain in turn "enjoys a unique relationship with the retailer that can be exploited if the studio suggests a strategy that is part of a favorable agenda for that studio." It's unsure why Wal-Mart would drop WB at this time – they're currently the leader in DVD market share – but it's thought that Fox, who is currently captain at Wal-competitor Target, is in line to take Warners' place.
- 29 Times Jennifer Lawrence Was a Badass on the Big Screen - POPSUGAR
- Watch Kristen Stewart in New Trailer (video) - HitFix
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Villains Revealed? - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' (video) - ScreenJunkies
- Everything We Know About 'The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron' - Vulture
- Why 1999 Was the Best VMAs of All Time - POPSUGAR
- David Letterman Remembers Robin Williams - Vulture
- Who's Been in Jimmy Fallon's 'Ew!' Skit? (video) - POPSUGAR
- What Show Deserves the Best Drama Emmy? - Vulture
- 'Friday Night Lights' Star Joins 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!