Filmbrain does the pictorial math on the new Willy Wonka. His general verdict is that Johnny Depp's performance is "both disturbing and more than a little irritating ... far more misanthropic than anything Dahl wrote, he's completely lacking in the charm that allowed Wilder to get away with those insulting one-liners." As for the movie on the whole? It's "far, far better than Filmbrain imagined it would be. However, Burton (as he did in Big Fish) drags the film down into an almost Spielbergian treatise on bad fathers and the importance of family." We'll have two of our own reviews of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory his weekend, so check back for them.
- 29 Times Jennifer Lawrence Was a Badass on the Big Screen - POPSUGAR
- Watch Kristen Stewart in New Trailer (video) - HitFix
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Villains Revealed? - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' (video) - ScreenJunkies
- Everything We Know About 'The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron' - Vulture
- Why 1999 Was the Best VMAs of All Time - POPSUGAR
- David Letterman Remembers Robin Williams - Vulture
- Who's Been in Jimmy Fallon's 'Ew!' Skit? (video) - POPSUGAR
- What Show Deserves the Best Drama Emmy? - Vulture
- 'Friday Night Lights' Star Joins 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!